We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and we comply with all of the Privacy Act’s requirements in respect of the collection and management of your personal information.
What is your personal information?
We do not collect or store credit card information on our servers - All credit card transactions are processed externally through DPS Payment Express.
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information about you:
- mailing or street address;
- e-mail address;
- telephone contact number;
- facsimile number;
- age or date of birth;
- the organisation, service provider or real estate agency to which you are affiliated with;
- the property that you or your organisation may be interested in selling, purchasing or leasing or the properties that you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to respond to your enquiries;
- the property related services that you or your organisation offers or provides, including the properties in respect of which you or your organisation has provided services;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly (whether through our website or otherwise) or indirectly through our representatives or otherwise; and
- information that you provide to us through application forms or customer surveys that you or others may complete.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect aggregated information about how users use our website or anonymous answers to surveys.
Cookies and tracking of website experience
We also collect statistical information regarding the use of our website, such as your computer’s internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp. We may also use third party tracking-utility partners to gather and analyse information about the use of our website. We use this information to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movements around the website and to gather demographic information about the website visitors.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may do so in a number of ways, which may include:
- through your access and use of our website, including any user registration forms that you complete via our website;
- when you make an enquiry with us or register your interest in any of our services or our website (whether through our website, by email, by telephone or otherwise);
- during conversations between you and our representatives; and
- when you complete any forms or sign any contract.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- from third parties such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- from our related companies, contractors or marketing or advertising agencies engaged by us; or
- from other persons who submit information about you as part of their dealing with us.
We hold your information in an electronic system located in Australia.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
You may browse certain parts of our website without disclosing your personal information. However, you may be required to provide your personal information or register with our website if you wish to access certain features or sections of our website.
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide you with information about properties that you may be interested in, including information about certain special promotions;
- we may not be able to provide any other products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all; or
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our website to your preferences and your experience of our website may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions, provide services to you, and to provide the best possible quality of customer service to you.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- to answer enquiries, and provide information or advice about our services;
- to provide you with access to protected or member-only areas of our website;
- to assess the performance of our website and to improve the operation of our website;
- to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties who are working with us on the website and services that we provide;
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes relating to our website and services;
- to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers, or other members of our website, as part of the functionality and services that we provide on the website. For example, if you indicate your interest in a particular property or wish to contact the estate agent of a particular property, your contact details may be provided to that estate agent;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country (or political sub-division of a country).
To whom may we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our related parties, contractors or service providers for the purposes of the operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- third parties who are members of the website, such as property owners or lessors, real estate agents, purchasing representatives and potential purchasers, sellers and lessees in connection with ordinary operation of our website or the advertisement, listing and promotion of properties on the website;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, advertising, promotional (including giveaways and competitions) and similar purposes, but only relating to the functionality and services on the website; and
- another organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We may display your personal information on our website as part of its ordinary operations.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related companies within Australia.
Direct marketing materials
Where you provide your email address to us, it will be used for the purposes for which you provided it. If you request it, your email address may also be added to our marketing mailing list for the purposes of direct marketing to you by email.
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about the website, property listings on the website, and other services and products available on the website. These communications are sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference in regards to a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us using the contact details below or by using the opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications. We will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list within a reasonable time.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing except as disclosed above.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information that we hold about you at any time by contacting us using the details below, or by using the appropriate functionality on the website. Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (such as by mailing or emailing it to you). We will not charge you for making a request for access, for providing a copy of your personal information that we hold or for making any corrections to your personal information.
If you believe that any personal information which we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request that we amend your personal information using the contact details below, or by using the appropriate functionality on the website. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Where possible, your personal information will be destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed and where we have no legal obligation to retain that information.
As the Internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of any information that you communicate to us via the Internet or by email. We also cannot guarantee that the information which you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us over the Internet or by email is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the details below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
Our procedure for investigating and dealing with privacy breaches is as follows:
complaints should be made in writing and submitted to the Privacy Officer using the details below;
- we will treat your complaint confidentially. The Privacy Officer, or their nominated representative, will investigate your complaint and contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved;
- we will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved within a reasonable time and in an appropriate manner with which you are satisfied; and
- if you are not satisfied with our response or our proposed resolution of your complaint, then you may lodge a formal privacy complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (for more information, please see http://www.oaic.gov.au).
Please contact our Privacy Officer at:
The Privacy Officer
Phone: 1300 665 650